Friday, January 30, 2015

1) As we begin this discussion on online portfolios, I thought I'd post Zak Stoddard's website, since Zak is one of our own. Maybe this site is more than a portfolio, but it showcases Zak's work as as a designer. I think it is a well-organized, creative way to display his work and background information, and one that I am considering using as an example for my online portfolio. What do you think? Zak Stoddard's Portfolio

2) Wow! I am mightily impressed with this animated (as in multiple movement) website by "the droid you are looking for" -- although he should have paid more attention to grammar in school. He's GOOD -- he says so; he's a perfectionist who confidently touts his wares and skills, and his skills are "legion." He paraphrases Steve Jobs, and there are many little buttons on this very complex site to discover and press that lead you up and down and sideways for more information. It's kind of fun for me as a student to poke around, but would a perspective client have time for all that? Again, this site is all one page, where you scroll down toward the bottom. He sells himself first, and then showcases his work, although his work section seems all "jumbled" together. (Where's the white space?)  I'm not sure if his name is Botond Raduly or Raduly Botond, but see for yourself at http://botondraduly.com/

3) I like the simplicity of this fun site. The designer is at the forefront all the time. This is me; and then this is my work. A lot of animation. http://www.gcardoso.pt/

4 comments:

  1. Virginia - a nice broad group of websites. Zak's is a SquareSpace template and shows the functionality, and the limits, of this website building site. The animation in your second "find" is really great... and shows his ability in the site design itself. It's professional as well as fun. The third site, to me, was more fun than professional... with his "face making" and all, it shows his youth.... which can be ok if all of his clients are in that same age range. Nice work Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your informative feedback, Coni, especially the comment about the youthful web designer of the third site. Something to keep in mind. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I like Zak's clean cut professional approach in his site that really showcases expertise in his branding abilities not to mention his broad band of media venues with corporate and environmental design. His site is very appropriate for high end uniform design in my opinion. I really like your second site with it's creative typography lure! I also agree, he needs to use white space or not showcase his work as drop down leaderboard sizes that visually appears too condensed. The third one is interactive and playful but the repetitive use of his visual profile pictures fights constantly throughout his portfolio for visual hierarchy and comes off as too ostentatious and egotistical. He needs to sell himself more with his craftwork and less with his physique! Thanks Virginia! I enjoyed viewing these sites!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see Zak's online portfolio. He has some excellent references at the beginning and the Henry Ford quote fits him well. At first, I thought his work selections were fairly limited, but then I realized each of them were the first of a series of posted samples. His style is very clean and crisp. The most impressive and moving work was his Equality posters. It was great to see the No Funny Stuff environmental design and the car wrap to show the breadth of Zak's skills. I have always loved the car wrap he designed. It is so fluid and maximizes the art and the car's contours seamlessly. My only criticism of his site would be he needs to attend to some misplaced text returns and to some typos.

      For the second website, I found his text motion graphics engaging and I was impressed with the natural movement of his head from looking up to looking directly at the reader when scrolling down. This site is full of information and many examples. I agree with Virginia and Desiree that I would prefer to see more open space. Also I would slow the pace of the pans in and out. The current speed feels a bit too frenetic. However, I do like the full-sized screen samples in the background and then the mobile and tablet screen designs on the right side of each description, when available. They illustrate the current trend toward responsive web design, which is essential these days.

      The third website was refreshing in how much the designer's personality shined through. He did an excellent job of maintaining a nice balance with white space, details, and visuals. The hard and soft skills section is particularly effective, concisely describing his computer skills as well as his work-style strengths. I find the bulleted background information more effective than wordy descriptions of projects.

      Excellent choices. : )

      Delete