Thursday, February 12, 2015

Project #2 -- FlexPrint Brochure by Virginia

This brochure with its required die-cut was created to market a fictitious print shop in Gardner named FlexPrint, which uses flexography (or flexo print) to produce high-quality flexible packaging. This print process uses environmentally-friendly fast-drying inks that are perfect for slick surfaces, such as plastic grocery bags, food wrap and even shower curtains. The firm also prints on paper.

In flexography, the flexible flexographic plate with its raised image or text is attached to a roller. A second roller applies a specific amount of ink to the plate, while a third roller keeps what is called the substrate (the material on which to print) pressed firmly against the flexographic plate while it passes between them. Hence, circles, representing rollers, are key to this design, along with the "rollin', rollin', rollin" theme. I also threw in a  bit of nostalgia, just for fun. (Can you sing the theme song for the TV western referenced in the brochure?)

1) Reviewer noted that the images inside the circle looked "blurry" in the printed brochure. However, the images are high-res in the InDesign file (300 dpi). After a few adjustments to the print settings, I printed a second copy of the brochure, and the images are crisp once again.

2) No other updates were suggested or made. Comments, please.

Brochure Folded Front

Brochure Folded Back

Brochure Spread Outside
Brochure Spread Inside

4 comments:

  1. Virginia,
    Since you did this for my class, and you got much of my feedback while in-progress, I don't have much to add. However, there is one aspect of this that I want you to reconsider - in the end, it will be up to you, but here it is:

    The inside paragraph that begins "We are here to serve you" heads up a whole column of FR paragraphs. I'm not convinced that you need to do this, although I understand why (page symmetry). Re-align both heading and paragraphs FL and see what you think. It will be a tad more understandable and readable... although possibly not enough for you to decide to make the change.

    As I said, it's up to you. See what others might think from the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered FL when I originally designed this brochure, Coni. However, I prefer FR for page symmetry, as you noted. I will change to FL if that's the general consensus. I am open and eager to listen.

      Delete
  2. To be honest, I really love the look of the symmetry of the Flush Right on one column and the Flush Left on the other. It's not often done but in this instance, in my opinion, it adds to the balance of the piece. As an artist there is a time to know when breaking the rules helps the piece and I believe this is one of those times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about liking the FR and FL on the inside spread. I really like this piece, Virginia. I feel like you stretched the concept design beyond the realm of the ordinary.

    I have a couple questions. Does anyone find it distracting to have to turn the piece 90º to read the inside? Part of me loves it and likes the look of the inside at the turned orientation. Part of me wants it to open with no turning so that the rounded part of the design would be on the left side, rather than the right, and the descriptive text would be turned 90º so that the page itself didn't need to be turned.

    Am I being a stick-in-the-mud or is it totally fine to make the piece turn to be read on the inside?

    ReplyDelete