Monday, April 20, 2015

Digital Illustration - Nashoba Valley Winery

So this extremely time consuming digital illustration was originally just the grapes, a wine bottle, glass, cheese and cutting board sitting on my steps.

Some changes suggested:

  1. To fix the shadows
  2. Either put in on a table or have a kitchen background. Something more appealing than the plain black and white steps before.
  3. Possibly do a little write up about Nashoba Valley or what I drew.


Changes I made:

  1. Fixed all the shadows
  2. I decided instead of a kitchen backdrop maybe a vineyard would look better. But in order to keep the focus on the food and wine that I painstakingly drew, I blurred the vineyard so the focus is in the forfont and the vineyard is off in the distance keeping the element of hierarchy. Many photographers use this effect in real world photographs.
  3. I decided the piece needed to be FOR something so I did some research on Nashoba Valley Winery and put together a Wine Tasting Event write up. I made the piece a promotional vehicle instead of just a digital drawing. It now has a purpose other than it was a class assignment.

3 comments:

  1. Desiree - how colorful! I noticed that your Photoshop composite background image is very much out of focus. I suspect this is intentional, and fine as long as you don't expect us to dwell on it for very long. Instead it will serve as a textural element, bringing color and interest to the design rather than content-centered information.

    With this in mind, I wonder if you'd consider enlarging the shape that holds your type? If you would extend that wooden frame down a bit more, you could easily enlarge this body copy, making it more inviting to read. Important, in my opinion. Currently, the line width of this text is too long for the point size. So... increase the body copy size so that 7-10 words sit on each line (a more reasonable amount).

    In fact, if the frame extended down far enough, it could tuck "behind" the grapes adding a mid-ground to your foreground and background. Depth is created this way.

    Please review your sentences, rewriting this with even more of a marketing slant might be good. You are also missing the word "our" on the last line (Fine samplings....).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see some shadows under the cheese and grapes!!! Great illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wine bottle and glass are very realistic. Great job! I'm wondering if you could capitalize the word "Tuscan," as well as add a comma after the segment that ends with "winery orchard"? Also, delete the zeros in the price: $8 for readability.

    ReplyDelete