Monday, March 2, 2015

Project 4—The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

This project's audience is anyone who enjoys quirky movies about exotic places—India in this case. Although the movie appeals to people in their 50s and older, the enthusiasm and love interest of the younger characters could draw in a younger crowd as well.

The suggested changes mostly focused on the front art. The input ranged from making the gate and the girl on the front larger, flipping the girl so she was facing left, and keeping the architectural interest but replacing the girl altogether. There was also a suggestion to include the flowers, from the lower portion of the back, and placing more on the front.

The following adjustments were done:
1) I added a smaller marigold in the lower left corner of the front cover. This addition does two things: It adds some unity between the front and the back covers. It also covers the lower left edge of the image with the girl, covering the fact that the interesting doorway trim didn't continue down the left side of that image.
2) I flipped the girl to face left, enlarged her slightly, and brightened her so she wasn't so much in the background.
3) I decided to keep the girl on the front, rather than using an entirely different image within the doorway, to help place the location of the movie more clearly in India. Most people associate saris with India or that part of the world and I wanted to maintain that connection.



3/22/15
NOTE: I modified her fingers on the front just a bit. They looked abnormally long on the above version. Although they seem short on the version below, I think they are more in keeping with the fingers on both hands. Minor issue, but what do you think?


5 comments:

  1. I love this DVD design (as well as the movie). I didn't mind the girl facing right, but I appreciate the time and skill it took to show her facing left, so she isn't looking off the page. However, I kinda think she now looks as if she's reaching out to smell the marigold in the lower corner (because she's looking down). I write that last comment with a friendly smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thought, Virginia. Does anyone else have a preference between her facing left or right? : )

      Delete
  2. Sue, I think Virginia is right, she looks like she is reaching towards the title... but is that a bad thing? I'm surprised that you could flip her, I assumed she was flattened into the background archway. Or, did you recreated the background lattice work where her figure uncovered it - in which case you deserve a congrats for good photoshop work.

    This is almost done... one last thing, which appears to be a minor issue here, but maybe not when it is printed out: The phrase that sits on back cover within the purple rectangle (A believable clash...). Is there enough contrast between the yellow/orange letters and the purple to be readable?

    That's it - put this one away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coni, it was actually fairly easy to flip the woman. I selected her with the Quick Mask Mode and then pasted her onto another layer before flipping her to the left. Then I used the clone tool to fill in the latticework of the windows in the background. The biggest challenge was her fingers. They appeared abnormally thin because of the light flaring around them in the original position. So, I placed her so that her fingers were in front of a window again, hoping it would appear as if the light was flaring around them again.

    As for there being enough contrast or not on the text on the back, I will wait till it is printed. I actually think the contrast is okay on that, if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a minor tweak to her fingers. They kept bugging me because they looked abnormally long. I will attach the additional minor tweak next to the post at the top, if possible.

    ReplyDelete